Monday, June 23, 2014

Short stopover in Barcelona

Barcelonetta (down by the sea) was heaving with tourists and locals as it was the first few days of the school holidays. I took a stroll along the beach, people watched and paddled in the sea. Then enjoyed a Sangria and Tapas. In the morning I headed over to the marine institute to catch up with a student that is hoping to work on some of the marine cores from New Zealand. She showed me around the labs and we had a good chat about some options. 
The Barcelonetta esplanade

One of the random sculptures on the beach

Then in the afternoon I headed over to the Plaza del Espana to visit the famous Barcelona Pavilion designed by Mies van der Rohes. This is one of the buildings that Aaron has had to draw for his new architecture technical course, so I took lots of photos for him. I then walked to Plaza de Catalunya and down Las Ramblas to the beach. A short visit to Barcelona and a shame I couldn’t stay a day longer as that evening is their big fireworks on the beach.... 
The Barcelona Pavilion by Mies van der Rohes

Looking across the pond 

Inside the pavilion - with some of Mies van der Rohes furniture

The other reflective pool

Looking either side of the back wall

No comments: